Our Hygiene Team
Prevention of Dental Problems
Brushing and flossing regularly are very important to keeping a healthy smile, but your oral health routine is not complete without prevention of dental procedures by having regular dental check-ups and hygiene appointments at least twice a year.
Your appointment may consist of the following:
- Cleaning and polishing your teeth: Tartar, or plaque build-up hardened over time, is formed from bacteria and contributes to gum inflammation if left in place over time. The hygienist will do a thorough removal of tartar and follow up with a polish to shine up your teeth and attempt to remove any external stains.
- Gum evaluation: Your gums and the bone below them will be checked to make sure your gums are healthy and that there are no problems occurring.
- Oral Cancer Screening (OCS): Your gums, tongue, cheeks, throat, and even neck will be examined to check for any signs of possible oral cancer.
- Updating X-Rays: We use digital x-rays to minimize radiation exposure-- a full set mouth x-ray consisting of 18 films (also known as an FMX) has the equivalent dose of the radiation you receive from natural sources from a daily basis. We recommend an FMX every 5 years, or a set of bitewing x-rays (4 films) annually to check for bone loss, decay, tumors, abscesses, or any other hidden problems.
- Checking existing dental work: Dr. Ingram will check for any signs of wear and tear on existing crowns, bridges, fillings, implants, and other dental work to ensure they are in good working condition.
Book an appointment with one of our talented and experienced hygienists. Our skilled hygiene team is ready to serve you!